3. What constitutes an Elite qualifying “night”?
This includes nights stayed on loyalty Qualifying Rates, Reward Nights and Free Nights.
A loyalty Qualifying Rate is a rate that is eligible to earn IHG One Rewards points or airline miles. Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates; please see the program Terms and Conditions for details.
4. What happens to members' Qualified Nights stayed from January 1, 2022 until now? Do they count towards Elite status and/or Milestone Rewards?
Yes, all qualified nights stayed in 2022 will count towards Elite Status in 2023. They will also count towards Milestone Reward achievement in 2022.
5. When will these new Elite tiers appear in members’ IHG One Rewards accounts?
The new tier structure and an updated Elite status tracker will appear in IHG One Rewards accounts on or before 17 April 2022. This means that Spire Elite members will see their tier name change from Spire Elite to Diamond Elite starting on or before 17 April 2022; Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members’ tier names will not change.
6. Will a member's status change to a lower tier if they haven’t achieved the new nights threshold? For example, will any members who are currently Gold Elite be downgraded to Silver Elite if they do not meet the new Gold Elite criteria?
No, all 2021 Elite statuses were extended through February 2023. If you were a Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Spire (now Diamond) Elite member as of December 31, 2021, your status will not be downgraded before February 2023. Additionally, if you have already achieved the 2021 reduced tier criteria for Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, or Spire (now Diamond) Elite before April 13, 2022, you will keep at least that status through December 2023.
However, beginning April 13, 2022, to achieve a higher Elite tier, a member must meet the new Qualified Nights or Points threshold for the relevant tier based on activity between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022. Otherwise, their status will be downgraded after December 2023.
7. A member’s status was gifted or earned during a promotion – what will happen to their status in 2022?
All Elite statuses, including those gifted and earned during promotions, have been extended through February 2023.
Elite Tier Bonus Earn
1. When will the new Elite tier bonus earn structure go into effect?
The new Elite tier bonus earn structure is live, starting April 13, 2022.
2. Is IHG's Points Expiration policy changing?
As a key benefit of our program, points never expire for Elite members (now Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite). Points expire for Club members after 12 months of inactivity.
3. How is Elite tier bonus earn calculated?
Elite tier bonus earn is the points Elite members earn, over and above the base points earned for each dollar spent, based on their status. Elite members receive an additional bonus based on their tier status, which is 20% for Silver Elite, 40% for Gold Elite, 60% for Platinum Elite, and 100% for Diamond Elite. These bonus points are calculated against the points earned on Qualifying Stays, and the percentage earned is determined by Elite tier. For example, a Silver Elite member earns 20% bonus points on all Qualified Stays. This means if a Silver Elite member completes a stay that qualifies for 10,000 IHG One Rewards points, they will earn an additional 2,000 Elite Tier Bonus points on the same stay, bringing their total point earn to 12,000 for their stay.
4. Do IHG One Rewards promotions qualify for Elite Tier Bonus Earn and/or Elite status?
Unless otherwise stated in a promotion’s terms and conditions, points earned as part of a promotion do not count towards Elite status.
1. Are there new benefits associated with the new and improved loyalty program?
Yes – in addition to the new tier structure, we are introducing the following additional benefits, available beginning in early June:
- A choice of Free Breakfast as a Welcome Amenity choice at Check-In for Diamond Elite members (subject to certain restrictions)
- Dedicated Diamond Support for Diamond Elite members
- Exclusive Access to Reward Night Discount Promotions for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members
- Early Check-In now offered to Platinum Elite members (subject to availability), in addition to Diamond Elite members
- Elite Rollover Nights now offered to Gold Elite members, in addition to Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members
- Expanded Late Check-Out for all tiers (subject to availability)
- Milestone Rewards for Elite members, starting at 20 nights (additional details below)
Additionally, we are investing in training and technology to improve delivery and communication of existing benefits, such as Complimentary Upgrades (subject to availability) for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members. We have updated the messaging in both internal and external communications, including the Member Benefits Terms & Conditions, to call out the inclusion of suite upgrades more clearly, when available.
2. What does the new Free Breakfast Welcome Amenity Choice benefit for Diamond Elite members include? How does it work?
As part of the Welcome Amenity choice at check-in, beginning in early June, Diamond Elite members now have the additional choice of a free daily hot breakfast for up to two guests. Hotels reserve the right to exclude certain menu items, such as alcoholic beverages or specialty coffee, from the free breakfast benefit. This benefit is available at all IHG brands, except limited-service brands that already offer breakfast, and at Candlewood Suites, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, select Kimpton properties, InterContinental Alliance Resorts (Las Vegas and Macau) and Mr. and Mrs. Smith properties.
3. What does Dedicated Diamond Support mean?
Beginning in early June, Diamond Elite members will have access to a dedicated support line to connect with agents who can assist with their travel needs. Diamond Elite members can access the support line through their IHG One Rewards account in either the IHG One Rewards app or website.
4. What are Reward Night Discounts?
Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members can stretch their points further with exclusive access to discount promotions on Reward Nights, or nights they book with IHG One Rewards points, subject to eligibility.
5. How have the Early Check-In and Late Check-Out benefits changed?
Beginning in early June, if Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members request to check-in early, hotels will do their best to have the rooms ready, subject to availability. And all members will be able to request a late check-out up to 2 p.m., also subject to availability.
6. What are Elite Rollover Nights?
Elite Rollover Nights are a way for our Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members to earn Elite status faster. Platinum Elite, Diamond Elite and, beginning in early June, Gold Elite members can earn status faster by rolling extra Qualifying Nights over to the next year.
For example, if a Silver Elite member stays 25 Qualifying Nights in 2022, they will earn Gold Elite status for the 2023 calendar year. However, Gold Elite status only requires 20 Qualified Nights, so the additional 5 nights that the member stayed over and above the Gold Elite qualification, will be rolled over in their account and count towards their progress to the next Elite tier in 2023.
7. When will the new and improved Elite tier benefits be available to members?
The new and improved Elite tier benefits will be available starting in early June.
8. Are any current benefits going away as part of the loyalty program changes?
Beginning in early June, Gold Elite members will no longer receive a Welcome Amenity choice at check-in*. The Welcome Amenity choice for Gold Elite members will be replaced with other benefits such as:
- Enhanced point earn opportunities, e.g. 40% Bonus Point earn on all Qualified Stays, an increase from the previous point earn of 10%
- Access to the Elite Rollover Nights benefit
- Access to Milestone Rewards starting at 20 nights stayed
Starting April 13, 2022, members will no longer receive an Exclusive Spire Choice Benefit upon reaching Spire (now Diamond) Elite status. However, coming soon, all members will be able to choose rewards that matter most to them via our new Milestone Rewards.
9. Can members gift their IHG One Rewards benefits to someone else?
No, all benefits are non-transferrable.
10. Has IHG seen any changes for members as a result of Dynamic Reward Night pricing?
Since the launch of Dynamic Reward Night pricing, on average the points required to book IHG hotels has decreased by 15%.
11. Are the Food & Beverage programs in JAPAC, IMEA and SEAK changing?
We know this is an important future area for development. It isn't included in the coming benefit changes, however it’s on the roadmap for future development.
1. What are Milestone Rewards?
Coming soon, Milestone Rewards will offer a new way for members to choose rewards that matter most to them. Members will be able to select a Milestone Reward every 10 Qualifying Nights, starting at 20 Qualifying Nights, according to the following chart: